Friday, October 3, 2008

Inspiration Friday - Autumn Welcome Coronet- Double Tutorial

It's our final day with our guest blogger Keri Lee Sereika and she has a dynamite project for us with a double tutorial for Inspiration Friday. Keri thanks for a fabulous week and a great double Tutorial.

Today I thought it would be fun to show how you can use JustRite Stampers Font Sets to create beautiful home decor. Here I have created a floral arrangement that could be adapted to any season and you could put any greeting on the plaque on front. I also decided to create a tutorial for this project! The first part of this tutorial shows how to use a Stamp-a-ma-jig with the JustRite stamps. The second part of the tutorial shows how to create the paper coronet to hold the flowers. I hope you enjoy!


Begin by stamping "WELCOM" using the Trompe Font Set and the Harmony Rectangular Stamper Set inked with Chestnut Roan Fluid Chalk Ink.

Next, remove the "E" from the Rectangular Stamper and place it in a smaller handle. Here I chose the Wood Handle that came with one of my Border Starter Sets. Take your Stamp-a-ma-jig and lay down the plastic imaging sheet in the corner of the Stamp-a-ma-jig. Ink your stamp and stamp the "E" onto the imagin sheet. TAKE NOTE OF WHICH WAY YOUR HANDLE IS...when you go to stamp again you want to be sure your handle is facing the same direction. See how I have my "JustRite" upside down? It will be that way the next time I stamp my "E" as well. (Note: You could use any of the JustRite Stampers Wood Handles and follow these same steps)
Next, remove the imaging sheet from the Stamp-a-ma-jig and place it over the "WELCOM" you have already stamped. Make sure it is lined up just as you would like it to show up on your final project.
Replace the Stamp-a-ma-jig snugly against the imaging sheet and remove the imaging sheet.

Pressing the Stamp-a-ma-jig handle firmly down onto your project, reink your "E" image and line up the "JustRite" on the back of the handle, place the handle against the inside corner of the Stamp-a-ma-jig and press your image onto your project.

Pulling STRAIGHT UP and lift the stamp away from your project to reveal your perfectly spaced "WELCOME". (WHEW that was the hard part of the tutorial...give yourself a pat on the back! You did it!)

Using Curvy Rectangles Die by Spellbinders, Die cut your plaque. If you don't have a die cut system you could certainly just cut your plaque into a rectangle, or you could dress up the edges of the rectangle with a punch, or deco scissors if you own those!

Using a Jumbo Sponge Dauber, sponged the edges of the plaque using Burnt Sienna Fluid Chalk Ink by Clearsnap. Go lightly over the entire surface and then apply additional layers to the outside edge for real depth and color.
Apply a few layers of Chestnut Roan Fluid Chalk Ink by Clearsnap to the outside edges of the plaque to just add to the depth you started in step eight.

Using Dark Brown Fluid Chalk Ink by Clearsnap, Stamp a wingding in each corner. If you are not sure where your image will end up and want to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig simply follow steps two through six for perfect placement...I thought of that AFTER I did mine...otherwise I may have had more even results! LOL Go figure!
Take your copper craft wire and begin to wrap it around the handle of a paint brush or other small round stick or handle. A bamboo skewer works well for this too, or a pencil also!
Once you have a nice sized length of coil (1 1/2 - 2 inches in length) snip the coil. Stretch it out just a bit and poke a hole in the top two corners of your plaque and slip just a bit of the coil through each hole and recoil it on the other side tightly. You will no have a handle on your plaque that you can adhere to your paper coronet. Read on for step by step directions how to make the paper coronet!
Select your paper and place it face up on your work table. Orient the paper so that you have your pattern going in the direction you want it to be in on the final product.

Flip the paper right to left (just as if you were reading a book) to make sure you have the paper oriented the way you want. Take up the two bottom corners of your paper and lay the right corner over the left corner.
Continue to overlap the corners, feeding them evenly within one another to form a cone.

Continue until you have a tall thin cone that the top two corners nearly line up at the top. I was not ever able to get it perfect but it is ok because it does not show once the floral arrangment is in the cone anyway! LOL
This is what the front view of the coronet looks like at this point. You want to check the front to be sure you like the look of it before proceeding to the next step.
Once you are sure you like how the front looks, make sure your points are almost even. If you are happy with the front and the top points it is not time to adhere your paper to itself to secure the cone. Place a few small pieces of tape inside the cone on the seam to hold it in place from the inside. While holding the top of the cone tight, but not crushing it, let the outside bottom unroll just a bit and place a good strong adhesive to the edges of the triangular piece that unrolls. I first used Monoadhesive, this is not strong enough. I would suggest a good glue like Beacon zip Dry Paper Glue, or a good red line tape for good strong hold.

Now that you have your cone we turn to the floral arrangment. I purchase a foam cone so I could actually stick my stems in and arrange them. However, you could simply stick stems into the paper coronet and save the $$ spent on the foam cone if you wish.
I arranged two one dollar floral picks from my Dollar Tree store and added four pieces of dry eucalyptus springs I had on hand...this is a VERY inexpensive project but no one would ever guess!!!To decorate the outside of the cone I punched a strip of Blush Red Light Prismatics cardstock using the new Treading Water Border punch by Fiskars and adhered it to the cone. Because the cone is not cylindrical I had to allow it to go up slightly in the back to keep it flush on the front...but that is ok because no one sees the back anyway!


Using hot glue adhere a small loop of ribbon to the back of the coronet. Be sure to adhere it directly to the back of the project and not just the strip of paper you just added to the proejct...again I found out after the fact that it needed to be WELL ADHERED to the coronet itself....it fell off my wall because I had only adhered it to the strip...

Flip the coronet over and place a glob of hot glue to the front top about an inch from the edge. Place the wire handle of your plaque into the glob and hold until cool.
Tie a small ribbon bow and adhere to hide the hot glue glob. Place your flowers or floral arrangement into the now finished coronet to complete your project.
Supplies:
Inks: Chestnut Roan, Burnt Sienna, Dark Brown Fluid Chalk Inks
Cardstock: Clearsnap -Blush Red Light Prismatics & Natural Smooth - Prism Papers
Patterned Paper: K & Company
Accessories:Curvy Rectangle Die - Spellbinders, Punch: Treading Water Border Punch - Fiskars, Copper Craft Wire, Ribbon, Flowers and Foam Cone


Keep us in mind....."When it needs to be JustRite".

16 comments:

Keri Lee Sereika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri Lee Sereika said...

Whoops - had to fix it! LOL

Woohoo it is up!!! Thank you Kellie and JustRite Stampers for such a great week. I had a BLAST!!

Sorry for so many photos today Kellie....how long did it take to actually load it??? LOL

Donna Baker said...

wow, Keri this is beautiful! I enjoyed ALL your projects but this is my favorite!!

Anonymous said...

How absolutly adorable is this!!!I love it..TFS!!
Stuning creations as always from Keri...:)~X~

Susan said...

This is just gorgeous and so welcoming! I don't usually work with florals, but I think I have to make this project asap!

Lorie said...

Absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to try this! So sad your time is up here Keri!

Mary said...

Absolutely gorgeous Keri. All of your projects have been awesome.

Mary

Linda Crowder said...

This is really a great floral arrangement and so versatile. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I am heading off to Michael's to buy supplies and I think I can do it! I appreciate the inspiration. Thanks again, Linda Crowder

None None said...

Beautiful! Thanks so much for the detailed tutorial. I think I can do it too so I will be making a trip to the local craft store to pick up the supplies sometime this weekend. :)

Michele Kovack said...

oooohhh you know how much I love those coronets!!!! Gorgeous!!!! Loved seeing what you created this week!

Anonymous said...

A very pretty project, but so much chance of it getting wet in rain. I love almost everything that you do.

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Yes as a note: This is either to be used indoors or on sunny days with no forecast of rain as photographed here. :)

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful Keri, what a wonderful way to welcome people to your home!love the paper and bouquet!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Really a lovely accent to a fall day!

Bellawhoop said...

Absolutely stunning! Love this project - and what a fantastic tutorial! :) Not only are you a papercrafter, but a flower arranger as well! I'm so jealous!

Craftingdiva said...

I am just trawling through your projects, this one makes a very welcoming front door. I know this is what you intended but so many like this project tend to be over the top.
my regards and much love XsueX