Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monogram Etiquette Part 1

Today we are going to start a series on Monogram Etiquette. We get this questions a lot and thought that the blog would be a great place to let everyone know the basics of Monogram Etiquette. For future reference, all new products will come with an instruction booklet with this information included in the booklet.

Here is a grouping of cards that were all monogrammed for the same person. In this example, Beth made a set of personalized cards to send as thank you notes.
The first card is a single monogram using Beth's first initial. This monogram was made using the Small Monogram Stamper (also formerly known as the C-30) that comes with the one letter Damask Borders, Times New Roman font in one size, the self inking stamper and double sided ink pad with black ink on one side.
In the next example, Beth used the Curlz Font Kit which comes with the Curlz font in two sizes, four borders and a wooden block. Everything in the Curlz Kit is compatible with the self inking Large Monogram Stamper (also formerly known as the C-45).
The last example is a traditional three letter monogram made using the self inking Large Monogram Stamper Kit. This kit comes with the Times New Roman font in two sizes, four borders, double sided ink pad with black ink on one side, the self inking stamper and a golden storage box with magnetic closure.

When creating a three letter monogram the order of the letters is small first name letter on the left, large last name letter in the middle and small middle name letter on the right. In this example, the monogram for Beth Therese Rodwell is BRT.

*Note* The only time the three letter monogram is in left to right order is if all the letters are the same size.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions on Monogram Etiquette. If you think of any questions leave them in the comments and they will be addressed at the end of the week.

Please note that the items used in these projects can be found on the JustRite Stampers web site under Best Sellers. And don't forget that September 1st there will be a slight price increase on these items so take advantage of the savings now.

Thanks for joining us as we build a community of education, creativity and inspiration touching on every special moment in your life. Keep us in mind....."When it needs to be JustRite".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lesson in Monogram Etiquette. Lessons learned are always good. ;-)

What I want to know, however, is what was used to cut out the monogrammed circles and the layered pieces? Were they punches? die cuts? Nestabilities? And what sizes were used?

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I was really wondering that myself! I would LOVE to use those circles and scalloped circles myself.

Keri Lee Sereika said...

What yummy examples!!! Thanks for the etiquette lesson!!!

Michele Kovack said...

Thanks for that info! I actually had to call my MIL when I did a monogrammed card! Pretty cards too!

Anonymous said...

Want to clear up any confusion out there on a monogram for a couple? That is, does the husband or wife's first initial go first? I have seen it done both ways, but I THINK I know that only one is "right." Thanks!

Michelle Quinno said...

I was going to ask the same as the above poster. I've always known it to be the husband's, the last and then the wife. I hate that the man always comes first! :-)

p.s. Love my three monogram sets!!

Charmaine said...

I was actually wondering the same thing. I always heard it was the wifes initial then the husbands with the last name initial in the middle. This is what was done for my brother and SIL's wedding favors.

Charmaine

Anonymous said...

I would like to know what size punches you use to cut out the momogram for the C-45. Thanks!

Jan said...

With the last name Di Fara (two words), do I use the D or the F or a combination of the two?