Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 5 with Becca Feeken - Recipe Journal

WOW!! Becca!! Thanks for a super week of Inspiration. You can continue to be inspired by additional projects from Becca by visiting her blog - Amazing Paper Grace.

Day 5 with Becca Feeken – Never Lose Your Recipes Journal

What a bang up week!! I’ve tried to create totally different things this week from cute to elegant, cards to 3-D projects which leads me to round out the offerings with my selection for today. My week wouldn’t be complete without offering a book. I’m a total book fanatic and have journals of many types – sketch journal, quotes journal, prayer journal, coloring journal, challenges journal, knitting journal, I could go on. Just when I thought I had it covered and there was no other kind of journal I could create – JustRite creates a Recipe Set with 9 Borders and Centers!

Ya know, I admire people who can keep up with a note card or recipe card…it’s a hopeless cause for me. I take the card out, and it never finds its way back. Bingo! Time for a Recipe Journal for me. It can live with my cook books and then when I go to find the recipe – it will be in the Recipe Journal where I can find it.

So, presenting…my new Recipe Journal.




There are 9 divider pages to correspond with the JustRite Recipe Set Borders and Centers.
Come with me while I show you the steps I took to make it.

As shown below, I pulled together the papers I wanted to use and cut them to the following dimensions:
-Nine double sided papers for dividers, cut 5.5” wide by 8.5” high (these are We R Memory Keeps – Grandma’s Kitchen Collection)
-Two pieces of chipboard for front and back cover, cut 7” wide by 8.75” high (mine is from the back of an art tablet.) I also needed design paper to cover the chipboard – 4 sides.
-A quantity of white cardstock, cut 5.5” wide by 8.5” high

As shown below, I adhered design paper to all four sides of the chipboard.
Using the same design papers as I set aside for my dividers and using Spellbinders Standard Circles Large, I cut 18 circles – 9 pairs. For nine of the circles I stamped them prior to cutting them out. For the tabs I manually spelled out the same words that are on the stamps in the JustRite Recipe Set and set them using the JustRite Times New Roman 50 point font and the JustRite Wood Stamper 2 3/8” Set.

I cut one additional circle to use later as a template and inside that circle I cut another hole with a 1 ½” punch.
Using the template, I traced a circle onto my stamped tab at the opposite end of the stamped words. I did that for all 9 tabs.

Holding the pair of tabs together I lined up the penciled outline of the small circle with the inside of my punch and punched.
Then as shown below, I took my punched tab and lined it up on my divider page and lightly traced a circle to show where I would ultimately place the windowed tab.



Next with the same 1 ½” punch I punched out the same area that I just traced.



Once the whole is punched, I was able to mount my windowed tab, as shown below.



Next, using the JustRite 1 3/16” Wood Mount and the JustRite Recipe Set, I stamped the recipe stamp that matched the stamped words on my tab. I stamped through the window onto the next blank page that occurs in the journal – see below. I did this for all 9 tabs



With covers done, pages cut and tabs applied to dividers, I put the book in order and bound it with my Bind-it-All

My last step was to add a Chipboard tag to the front of the journal. On the tag I stamped Recipe Journal.
Project Supplies:
Stamps: JustRite Wood Stamper 2 3/8” Set, JustRite Recipe Set, JustRite Times New Roman Font (50 point), JustRite Brayton Font (95 point), Harmony Rectangular Stamper Set, JustRite Wood Stamper 1 3/16”
Paper: We R Memory Keepers – Grandma’s Kitchen, White Cardstock
Ink: Black Brilliance, Black Memento
Accessories: Spellbinders Standard Circles Large, Chipboard, 1 ½” Round Punch, Bind it All
Keep us in mind....."When it needs to be JustRite".

16 comments:

Beth S said...

What a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Love it.

carpediem said...

Love the recipe book...this is definitely one project that I'll make. Becca's done some fabulous work this week!

rudie2shoes said...

I love this recipe book. I am in dire need of one so I guess I'll have to make on instead! :) Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

dclouser said...

Great project for gift-giving - my mind is turning! You certainly outdid yourself this week, Becca. I just love your style and am ready to look into Just Rite Stamps, thanks to your work!

Elaine A said...

Becca -

What can I say except - Brilliant! Oh and sweet too - ha ha ha!

Elaine Allen

thestampinglady said...

Great project. I have enjoyed your posts all this week--you rock. dar

Irene said...

Your work is amazing Becca. You are such an inspiration.

Jan Castle said...

You are such an inventor! Wonderful recipe book....wonder if there is anything that would stump you!
Jan Castle

Jen T said...

Gotta make this one....what a nice wedding shower gift too. Thanks!! Loved all the new ideas this week.

Suzi said...

Way cool! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful project and gift idea. Thanks.

Linda D.

Deb said...

I want this NOW!

Linda Carson said...

BRILLIANT!

Lisa Atha said...

What a great idea! Very pretty too! It looks like it took a long time to make. What a great week you have given us over here on the Just Rite Blog!

Lisa A.

Sherry said...

I've been wanting to make one of these for myself,my mom,daughter, sisters in law etc.. I thought the task too overwhelming.. but you've made it very easy to understand and it's completely doable! One quick question though, what type of adhesive did you use on the chipboard?

Anonymous said...

Hintergrundbilder-wallpapers

wrhm v " em 51